This site is a review of various places to walk in the Washington, Illinois area. I like to walk for about 30 minutes at least four times a week. Sometimes I like to get away from walking in my neighborhood and have found a few paved trails and some park trails that offer some variety. If a trail is not circular or would obviously take longer than 30 minutes to complete, I’ll set my cell phone alarm to sound in 15 minutes so I can turn around and go back to my car, giving me my 30 minute total. Each post will have a new location and some comments.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

WASHINGTON RECREATION TRAIL PT 3


Part 3 of Washington Recreation Trail picks up where Part 2 left off at Cummings Ln near Akron Brass Company. The trail takes you south on Cummings Ln across Washington Rd to Kern Rd where you turn left and continue to Wilmore Rd. According to the map the trail ends shortly after turning left on Wilmore but you could continue back across Peoria St. (Washington Rd) and pick up the trail next to the High School football field parking lot, thus creating a nice loop. The problem with this section for me is that it is next to a high volume of car traffic on Cummings and doesn’t improve much on Kern or Wilmore. I prefer areas that are a little quieter and offer scenery other than industrial buildings and houses so I did not walk the Cummings section of the trail. I have walked the remaining portion at various times up to about where the map ends on Wilmore. There is some farmland on the left side of the latter part of the Kern Rd section but otherwise it’s car traffic and neighborhoods. Not much more to report about this section other than it is paved (sidewalk) and you will be highly visible. This section covers about 2.7 miles and would take longer than 30 minutes.

DIRECTIONS FROM THE SQUARE: West on Peoria Street which turns into Washington Rd. Right on Cummings Ln. Begins near Akron Brass Company. 

 DRIVE TIME: About 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment