This site is a review of various places to walk in the Washington, Illinois area. I like to walk for about 30 minutes at least four times a week. Sometimes I like to get away from walking in my neighborhood and have found a few paved trails and some park trails that offer some variety. If a trail is not circular or would obviously take longer than 30 minutes to complete, I’ll set my cell phone alarm to sound in 15 minutes so I can turn around and go back to my car, giving me my 30 minute total. Each post will have a new location and some comments.

Monday, July 23, 2012

WASHINGTON RECREATION TRAIL PT 2


Part 2 of the Washington Recreation Trail begins where part 1 ended on Dallas Rd across from Royal Ct. This walk took about 35 minutes to complete since I decided to use Cummings Ln as a turnaround point. As it is in part 1 the trail is paved and marked with white stripes in the center to create lanes for cyclists. This section of the trail cuts between the block of a residential area (sort of where an alley might be) and offers a view of, well, mostly backyards. After about 5 minutes you cross Grandyle Dr and at about 10 minutes there is a small decline/incline in the trail as you come to an open field to the left and a small pond to the right. As you pass the pond a few minutes later you come upon farmland to the left and you can see Cummings Ln ahead. Continue past the back of Akron Brass Company on your right to Cummings Ln and turn around and head back after about 17 minutes of walking. The morning sun offers little or no shade and the pavement is mostly level with no obstacles except for the occasional cyclist or jogger. As I said before, you are walking near the backyards of a residential area so you are fairly visible. I parked on Royal Ct. 

DIRECTIONS FROM THE SQUARE: West on Peoria Street. Right on Wilmor Rd. Left on Newcastle. Right on Dallas Rd to Royal Ct.


DRIVE TIME: Less than 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment