This site is a review of various places to walk in the Washington, Illinois area. I like to walk for about 30 minutes at least four times a week. Sometimes I like to get away from walking in my neighborhood and have found a few paved trails and some park trails that offer some variety. If a trail is not circular or would obviously take longer than 30 minutes to complete, I’ll set my cell phone alarm to sound in 15 minutes so I can turn around and go back to my car, giving me my 30 minute total. Each post will have a new location and some comments.

Monday, July 2, 2012

BOWEN LAKE

Located on Main Street just north of Boyd Parkway (US RT 24) this trail takes you full circle around Lake Bowen. It’s a small lake so it only takes about 7 minutes to walk around. Four laps gave me my 30 minutes. The trail is not paved (except for a short portion) but is more of a gravel road that’s embedded into the ground. In wet weather it would obviously not be as good as pavement, but would be much better than a trail in the woods. If you take the counter clockwise route the lake will be to your left. A nice looking well-kept lake that usually attracts some visitors for fishing or to walk their dog. I’ve never fished the lake and frankly it appears too small and public to contain any fish worth catching but there is a sign posting limits on crappie, bass, and walleye. Usually there is a family or grandpa bringing the kids to bobber fish off of the bank. There is a pavilion just to the right of the beginning of the trail and occasionally there will be a group making use of it for a picnic. To your right will be farmland for the first half and US 24 for the last half. It’s an open trail with virtually no shade or shelter from the wind. Open skies best describes the scenery. Although there is some distance from the highway, you can still hear the traffic which I regard as a negative. The beginning and ending of the circle is separated by the gravel parking lot which must be crossed to complete the route.

There is a Little Johnny porta potty and as I mentioned, a pavilion. The entrance to the lake is a gravel road that is barely wide enough for two vehicles and sometimes has some deep potholes. I’ve never tried, but very wet or snowy weather might make the entrance difficult.

DIRECTIONS FROM THE SQUARE: North on Main Street. Turn left immediately after crossing US 24.
DRIVE TIME: Less than 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment