This site is a review of various places to walk in the Washington, Illinois area. I like to walk for about 30 minutes at least four times a week. Sometimes I like to get away from walking in my neighborhood and have found a few paved trails and some park trails that offer some variety. If a trail is not circular or would obviously take longer than 30 minutes to complete, I’ll set my cell phone alarm to sound in 15 minutes so I can turn around and go back to my car, giving me my 30 minute total. Each post will have a new location and some comments.

Monday, July 16, 2012

WASHINGTON RECREATION TRAIL PT. 1


This trail sprawls through the middle of town with no specific starting or ending point. According to the most recent map I could find there is no complete loop. Since covering the whole trail would take much more than 30 minutes, I will break this walk down into sections of 15 minutes in one direction and then backtracking to the car. There is an open end in the trail located at the back of the McDonald’s parking lot on Peoria Street which I will use as the beginning point. Each new walk on this trail will pick up at the turnaround point of my last walk. The trail is paved and marked with white stripes in the center to create lanes for cyclists. Just follow the trail and you immediately cross Eagle Ave and walk between the baseball fields of Central Primary School on your left and farmland on your right. You can see Washington Street just past the farmland. The trail then turns to the left and takes you behind Five Points Washington. According to the map you could continue straight (instead of turning left) into the Five Points parking lot and pick up the right portion of the trail. I will save that portion for when the left side is completed. The trail takes you up to Newcastle where you turn left towards Dallas Rd. The pavement ends at Dallas Rd but according to the map and signs you turn right on Dallas and walk for about 1 minute and turn left where the pavement begins again just across from Royal Ct. At this point I’ve been walking for about 15 minutes so I turn around and head back to the car. There is little or no shade on this walk and you are in the middle of town and visible. As I said before it is all paved and level with no obstacles. I parked in the lot next to McDonald's as it seemed to be for the public.

DIRECTIONS FROM THE SQUARE: West on Peoria Street about 1 mile. Turn right just past the McDonald’s entrance.

DRIVE TIME: Less than 5minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment